Rss Feed
  1. Crescent Beach Micro
    A Crescent Picnic

    I'm still sometimes wowed by natural areas that I go to. Though sometimes touristy, the Maine coast has plenty of those wows to offer. You just have to know where to look. I had never been to Crescent Beach State Park before today, but I have to say that I'm already I'm hooked on the place. I'm just sorry I didn't bring my running shoes. I did however bring my Nordic poles, enabling me to get just a slightly better burn in the little amount of time I had.

    What most impressed me about the trail I found at Crescent Beach was the diversity. The trail starts with a rocky path through the woods for about a quarter of a mile. It then opens up into a grassy field with magnificent views of the ocean. It's on the border between grass and trees that I found Crescent Beach Micro. It lies directly next to what seems to be a foundation of some sort, long overgrown, in a patch of brush and gnarly little trees. Neat hide and a relatively quick find. What you're looking for is not your typical micro container. Having seen so many 35 mm film canisters I quite appreciate it when a hider uses something more out of the ordinary.

    From there the trail winds down through the fields toward the beach where you walk along a small grassy ridge overlooking the sand and the water. It was here that I decided I absolutely must come back here for a run. The sand is darker than I'm used to seeing and a firmer pack. I feel as though I could really dig in here. Following the beach further you find the buildings housing the snack bar and restrooms. These appear to be ripped straight out of the 60s. They look cold and institutional, like a public pool. For some strange reason I actually like the look.

    Just beyond there are some picnic benches and common areas for beach goers where you'll find A Crescent Picnic. Another way cool hide. Can't give too much away about this one though, aside from that as a cacher with some experience, when you walk up onto the cache site, you'll know exactly where to look. I used to think there was something wrong with this type of hide, maybe not enough challenge. I'm coming more to appreciate the simple ammo can in the woods. You can show some style with this type of hide, as this one shows. Good placement by the cache owner.

    From there it's pretty much just a straight shot back up to the top of the road. I should point out that the park is available year round to foot traffic or skis and snowshoes in the winter, but don't expect to be able to just drive in there this time of year. The gates are closed in the off season. Park at the entrance on Route 77 just before the gate and trek in like I did to the approximately 2 mile loop I made today. I met a runner on the way in and I think he had the right idea. I'll be back, and next time I'll bring my shoes.

    Distance : 2.39 miles Speed : 3.4 mph Average heart rate : 120 bpm Maximum heart rate : 143 Percentage of cals burned from fat : 60% Kcals burned : 361

  2. 0 comments: