Rss Feed
  1. Family Weekend Cache

    Apr 7, 2009

    GCA6B8 - Kimee #1
    I've been way too long without talking about geocaching, on this, my geocaching blog. The extremely snowy winter brought on a bit of a forced hiatus from the sport. The caches that I prefer are always out in the woods and for the most part, have been buried and inaccessible. Trust me, I tried. I know now that I will need snowshoes next winter. I learned that in the first week of March when I attempted caching at Bradbury Mountain State Park and ended up sinking into the snow up to my mid-thigh.

    Thankfully all that mess is starting to break up now. Sunday was an especially gorgeous day and it was also the end of a very enjoyable weekend visiting Boston with the family. We went to the New England Aquarium, the Boston Children's Museum, and on the way home, Stone Zoo. I had programmed some caches and routes for our time in Boston and even though I got some great running time in, hadn't really gotten a chance to grab a cache. This was unfortunate since I've only logged caches in Maine I really wanted to get one across state lines this weekend.

    Then it dawned on me. Perhaps I had a cache close to the zoo already in my GPS. We could go check it out after we looked at the black bears, meerkats, and my favorite, the coatis. As luck would have it there was a cache across the street in Greenwood Park. Even better it appeared to be family friendly. The difficulty rating was low. On a scale of 1-5, both the terrain and hide rating were 1. The cache location is just over 1/10 of a mile away from the playground. This cache was just screaming at me to take the kids there.

    My son was the scout, and my daughter played the role of navigator, meaning she held my GPS unit for me and relayed distances to the rest of the group. Nice park. It's part of the 2,575 acre Middlesex Fells Reservation. I found this to be an absolutely beautiful area and wish I had a little bit more time to explore the area. There's another cache here too; GCMA1E - Not Crystal Clear. Didn't have a chance to check this one out but if others in the area have please feel free to share. I would love to go back.

  2. 0 comments: